Yes Emily

Yes Emily, girls can ride motorcycles!


Sunday, September 19, 2010

Open Farms Tour

The day couldn't have been more perfect! I met up with Ken, my neighbour (motorcycle enthusiast and collector) to head northwest to the first farm on our tour. Ken had chosen a KTM from his collection of bikes, I of course had chosen a Yamaha VStar from my collection of "bike". We were like Mutt and Jeff - I can't believe how high that KTM is(I would have needed a ladder just to get on it), but a dual purpose bike was a sensible choice (if you have a choice) when you are headed to farmland and possible dirt roads (and grassy field). The first farm was in Erinsville ON - the Double H Ranch, and they were having fun with this event. The country music was blaring at the cowgirl cafe (with the self professed "best food" on the farm, ATV wagon rides and gardens to tour). The view and the scenery en route and on the farm was fabulous. Fall has hit the north. Backtracking a bit we headed to Centreville and Wiseacres farm. John Wise and his wife raise a variety of certified organic livestock, poultry and they also have a market garden. We discussed the life and times of poultry - Wiseacre poultry and livestock have a good life, great food, free range, and then, "they have one bad day which they don't live to regret," to quote John (I've placed my order for happy turkeys and chickens with apologies to any vegetarians who may be following my blog). John was a fountain of information on sustainable energy and an incredibly globally aware farmer. From Centreville it was off to Prince Edward county where the plan was to visit three more farms (an apparently overly ambitious plan). The world seemed to be out enjoying the last beautiful day of the summer and with Ferry line ups and the need for food - 300 kilometers and just over 7 hours later we made it to only two farms - but it was a beautiful day for a ride. We rode along side Lake Ontario on Hwy 33, from County Rd 4 to Picton. It was a totally different world than the rugged northern route. The blue of the sky mirrored the cool, darkening blue of the lake and the clouds, again, looked like sails, mimicking the sails of the last remaining sailboats on Lake Ontario. Lunch ended up being an early dinner and then it was time to go home. On "my" road I tried to capture the splendor of the maples around the lake - but the sun dipped below the tree line too soon, before I could take a photo the autumn colours were robbed of their blaze by the dark of the evening- maybe next Sunday.
Sad news - I noticed a severe stone chip (right through the paint) on the underside of the gas tank. Any repair suggestions???

1 comment:

  1. In response to the severe stone chip - if you take a close up photo of it, I could have a look and rack my brain for some suitable repair ideas!

    ReplyDelete